How to Write a Mystery Wins 3 First-Place Awards!
Our own Gayle Lynds contributed “Researching the Spy Thriller … or, Can’t I just make it all up?”
The handbook helps writers not only create timeless and compelling stories, but also to navigate an ever-shifting publishing landscape. From pacing and dialogue to creating diverse characters and building reader outreach, How to Write a Mystery is a complete guide by a new generation of bestselling experts for the next generation of mystery writers.
With contributions by some 70 well-published authors, the essays cover the gamut of writing and publishing:
- Before Writing (rules; genres; setting; character; research; etc.)
- While Writing (outlining; the plot; dialogue; mood; etc.)
- After Writing (agents; editors; self-pub; etc.)
- Other than Novels (short stories; true crime; etc.)
- Other Considerations (diverse characters; legal questions; criticism)
Kirkus Reviews praised the book: “Everything you wanted to know about how to plan, draft, write, revise, publish, and market a mystery.”