How will we all celebrate Christmas this year while staying safe and praying for the best? We Rogues have some ideas to share with you: holiday recipes to enjoy along with a few gifts for family and friends.
For a lovely breakfast treat Jenny Milchman offers this recipe for her Raspberry Sour Cream Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a 12 cup muffin tin
- In 1st bowl, combine zest of one orange and ¾ cup sugar, ½ cup melted butter, 1 cup sour cream, 2 beaten eggs
- In 2nd bowl, mix 1 ½ cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- In 3rd bowl, dust 1 ½ cups raspberries with 2 teaspoons flour, reserve a few for the tops of the muffins
- Combine ingredients, fold in berries, fill muffin tin, top with reserved berries, sprinkle with sugar, bake 18-22 minutes….enjoy!
Liv also contributes a recipe for hors d’oevres, Pomegranate Pistachio Crostini:
- Preheat oven to 400
- Arrange 36 slices of French bread baguette on ungreased baking sheet, brush tops with butter, bake 4-6 minutes then cool
Mix and spread over the toasted bread:
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachios
- 2 ounces dark chocolate candy bar, grated.
And here is Carla’s suggestion of a simple topping to add to mashed or baked potatoes, melt atop baked salmon or spoon onto grilled burgers.
Simply mix together:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Chill for 2 hours to blend the flavors (and you can freeze it for a month)
Lisa Black contributes a quick treat you can make and give as a luscious gift, what she calls her Foolproof Fudge:
- Melt a 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk chocolate) with
- A 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- Remove from heat, stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Put in a wax-paper lined pan, cool completely before cutting.
Now, do you have a favorite holiday recipe or gift idea you would like to share? Please leave a comment and tell us. Thanks for visiting us here on Rogue Women Writers and a very Merry (and safe) Christmas to you!
Wonderful recipes and good book suggestions to get us into the holiday spirit! I think I'm going to make a cup of tea, pick up a book and put the art of hygge (as Carla described in her blog last week) into practice with some candles and a cozy seat. I'll be snuggled up and reading for a while, so thank you, Karna, for some great suggestions.
These recipes all sound too delicious (and the books too)!
Yum! These suggestions are getting me I the Christmas spirit. Thanks, Karna!
Thanks, Val – and keep us posted on what you're reading over the holidays. Merry Merry….Karna Small Bodman
And of course, I've been assured that there are zero calories over Christmas…Karna Small Bodman
All the recipes sound so yummy. I'll have to substitute something for the raspberries, as I'm deathly allergic, but they sound grand. Thanks, Karna, for gathering.
Maybe blueberries would work, Karna